Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes

My children, like most other children say very cute things. Like today, for example, Aiden told me HIS “feels aren’t yucky”. (Chase was feeling yucky!) On the other hand, you just never know what they’re thinking or what they’re going to say before they say it. So while it may be “cute”, it also has the potential to be very embarrassing. It has caused me some alarm twice now in a public setting… Once Aiden was walking past an old lady in an electric wheelchair. He was clearly staring as he walked past, keeping his eyes glued on the woman. I tried to be nonchalant and just kept going once he stopped in his tracks, but there was just no moving him. The woman looked like she was at least 100. Her skin was the blackest I’ve ever seen on a human being and very wrinkly. Her hair was gray and standing up and pointing all different directions (think Don King). She was also missing most of her teeth. When it became apparent that Aiden was not following me, I braced myself for the worst and hoped for the best as I turned to him. He pointed at the woman and said, “What’s… what’s… what’s hers name?” Whew. I was safe. The woman proceeded to tell him her name and asked his. They had a nice little conversation and then we were safely on our way without any embarrassment on MY part. Fast forward to today; my second embarrassing brush with the unknown toddler thoughts. We were standing in line at Wal-Mart when an older gentleman got in line behind us. My first impression of him was that he looked a little grumpy. Being the politically-correct girl that I am, I simply “thought” that, but didn’t give voice to my opinion. Aiden apparently had the same impression, however, and didn’t choose to be “p.c.”. He pointed at the man and said, “Wook, Mom. Him’s angry.” I had to laugh to disguise my embarrassment, while my mind tried to come up with a plan off defense. Luckily the “angry” guy’s expression melted the second he heard Aiden and a grin spread across his face. He informed Aiden that he had just been thinking and didn’t know his “thinking face” looked like an “angry face”. All’s well that ends well… but you can bet I’ll be steeling myself next time I see Aiden’s finger point towards another person! So far we’re two-for-two, but how lucky can a mom get?!
This picture is old... maybe I should've taken notice of the pointing back then! ;)

4 comments:

jksfam said...

Wow, you ARE lucky!!! Here's to many more close calls ;)

DeeDee {the great} said...

Soooo cute! I love the honesty of children. I wish we didn't lose that as we age...just tempered with a little decorum...I am going to try to be a little more like Aiden!

Teresa Jolley said...

So cute!!! Ok, so now that you've given me guff,I got a few posts up. I still am behind by a million. I don't know where all my time goes?? I'm so glad I inspired you to start your blog.:) I'll try to keep it updated more. Luv ya. Oh and the other stuff, I'll email you about it.

John-Maren Goodman said...

I love those stories! My two yr old has started to produce the same effects on me~ Pure joy though when you think back to them! It's all good stories to tell them when they are older and have kids of there own~