Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dare to bear



On Fast Sunday this month (in our church, the first Sunday of each month is dedicated as "Fast Sunday". We are invited to fast from food and drink for a 24 hour period while praying with a purpose. We then donate money equal to the cost of meals we've abstained from and our Church meeting is open to the congregation for the bearing of testimonies... what we personally believe to be true.) both of my boys decided to share their testimonies in front of the congregation. It's important to me for them to say what is in their hearts, not what I prompt them to say. It's a little scary, however, to stand there for "moral support" never knowing for sure what they're going to say.



This particular time was no exception. Most people begin by saying, "I'd like to bear my testimony". Aiden bravely got up on his own claiming " I dare to bear my testimony". It is daring, you have to admit, to be brave enough to get up and bear testimony in front of a congregation of 100+ people! He got a little nervous and wanted me join him at the pulpit. I did, but continued to encourage him to say what HE wanted instead of telling him what to say. He got lots of snickers when he said, "I hope we don't say bad words." :) Honestly, though, I hope we don't say bad words as well.




Chase got up and said he wanted to "bury his testimony"... of course he wasn't burying it, he was bravely sharing it! ;) Most of us (me included) choose to bury our testimony on fast Sunday, instead of getting up and bearing it. So, good for you, Chase for bearing yours even if you wanted to bury it! Your confidence was showing, as well, when you just stood there with one hand holding on to each side of the pulpit. Just like a grown adult. I was impressed.




Later that night, Aiden was saying the family prayer and had this heartfelt message to share with his Heavenly Father:




"Dear Heavenly Father, I beared my testimony today and everybody laughed at me. It hurt my feelings."




I was touched (and maybe a little embarassed as I have to admit I was giggling during his testimony too) since he hadn't said anything to me about the snickering he heard. After his prayer we talked about it and I assured him that when people laugh at things children say it's because they're so cute it makes us smile and sometimes even laugh. Apparently that explanation sufficed because he vowed to continue to be cute enough to make people laugh. And... there's been no more mention of it in his prayers. lol




P.S. Did I mention I adore these guys? Maybe it shows. ;)



0 comments: