Saturday, October 18, 2008

A week in the life...

Well, we went to the zoo today and I took my camera and have pictures. :D Did you expect any less?





Oh wait... that's not a monkey and that's not the zoo. That's my Aiden at Grandma & Grandfather's house. I couldn't believe how high he climbed! He was actually even a little higher than that, but I didn't think to snap a picture until he was on his way down!


These are real pictures from today's zoo trip. Aiden loves to hang out in the arms of the bear! :D Chase won't do it. Come to think of it, Chase doesn't really like photo ops at all. He even told me so (not in those exact words, but to that effect).


He DID smile for the camera while riding the carousel, at least! :D


Notice how close I am to Chase (he always wants me to stand by him) and how far from Aiden. He insists on doing it all by himself. Mr. Independent! Notice how they're dressed in long sleeves and pants since it IS the 18th of October... they were roasting. It was in the 70's and definitely short sleeves and shorts weather. Michelle was smart. I was not. Sorry boys!






My super-cute niece, Lilly and her equally adorable sister, Adalee (beside their mommy, Michelle wearing their weather appropriate short-sleeves).







We went to Pump It Up last week and I didn't take pictures. Of course not, it's not the zoo! (My sister did, though, so if she forwards them I may post some.)




We worked on the letter "D" last week. We even made duh-duh doughnuts. They were not nearly as good as Aunt Dee Dee makes, but at least I made the effort. The boys thought they were fine. (Their only criteria, however, is that they're round with a hole in the center. I achieved that result.) AND... DRUM ROLL... I actually took pictures.




Did I mention Chase was the only one interested in helping? Aiden was too busy playing. When it came time to eat, though, Aiden was willing and able. (Reminiscent of a certain story about a little red hen? lol) Funny thing, Chase wasn't interested in eating them. They were too sticky. This is the same boy that doesn't eat syrup on pancakes for the same "sticky" reason. (He used to say that it made him sneeze. He finally fessed up that it had more to do with the mess factor!)



Speaking of messes... My house is ALWAYS one! Before I had children, a "friend" told me that my house was "too" clean. She said it felt "sterile". I never thought of myself as anal, really, I just had a schedule and time to do it. Now no matter how much I clean or how hard I work, my house is just never clean. I recently had another "friend" tell me that my front room must've been pretty at one time... before the boys colored on things and split the seam on one of the couch cushions. I wanted to buy a new couch so that at least my front room could be "pretty" again. After Chase colored on his brand new bed this past week (This just a few weeks after Aiden colored on the newly recovered piano bench.), I came to the sad realization that a new couch may not be a smart purchase. I'll just have to privately enjoy my little artist's masterpieces and under no circumstances allow visitors in my house until it is clean and "pretty" again. (The boys are 3 now, so I'm thinking in about 15/16 years?)




The new red-crayon-colored bed.



My couch I try to keep covered with pillows (until the boys pull the cushions off and jump on the couch showing off their artwork to Megan... further embarassing their mother).



And last, but not least, the newly-recovered piano bench.


8 comments:

jksfam said...

Looks like it's time to throw away the art supplies!!!

The "Eck's" Files said...

WOW!! It's not just MY kids!! I bought a new lazy boy sectional when we moved here, and knew this was my last couch purchase until they moved out. Chad left shortly after it was delivered, and I swear not 5 min later,there was highlighter all over it....ARGGG
Fast forward to last week. I had just cleaned the couch of slobber and other gross stuff, to find MARKER marks.....Why, I oughta.....

Cindi said...

I got rid of all their markers and crayons and stuff except for the magic markers that only color on special paper... but they find ink pens here and there. And who knows where Chase found the crayon! grrr. Kayte, not too encouraging to know it's still happening with your kids. I was really hoping they'd learn as they get older! :( Today I left a marker on the table (you'd think I would learn!) that I was using for Primary stuff. I came back and Chase had colored on the table! :( It wouldn't wipe off. I said, "Do you guys just want to destroy the whole house? We'll just live in a tent?" Aiden got all excited and said, "YEAH!" LOL

KristinNB said...

OMGosh!! Gotta love kids and their art.. My kids grew out of thank goodness.. Your will soon enough ;)

I want to go to the zoo so bad.. I love your pictures..

A Guy,A Girl, And a Max said...

That is too funny... I love those "magic markers." I need to learn how to make duh duh doughnuts! Looks fun!

Cindi said...

Well, Lori, too bad my house is such a wreck and I'm not having anybody over for 15-16 years. Otherwise I'd invite you over to make duh-duh doughnuts! ;)

Christian and Jennifer said...

I'm loving your blog and am excited you found mine! It's good to hear from you. We are in Denver and happy to be so close to home again. (We were in Florida before). Anyway, we need to catch up! My email is: johansenclan@gmail.com. And good luck with your boys . . . it looks like you're doing a great job with them. And I'm sure your couch forgives them.

Teresa Jolley said...

Oh my, Starlett is only one and half and she finds regular pens and pencils and I find drawings all over walls and dressers and mush more, but at least I don't have twins, and she isn't even 2 yrs old yet. I'm gonna have my hands full when this baby comes.