Thursday, January 22, 2009

Observation deck


So, my boys are very observant. Good thing? Maybe. Sometimes. They notice what makes people happy and sad and then use it to their own benefit. For example, they aren't super accepting of "new" people (just ask their primary teachers, the Davenports). They know that I want them to be more friendly to people. So, when they feel unthreatened (the Davenports don't threaten them, it's just threatening to them to be away from their mother! lol) they will do their best to be the friendly little boys they think their mom wants. Today at the store, there was an old oriental man sitting on a bench apparently waiting for someone. Aiden & Chase noticed him all alone and felt the need to be friendly. So, they both ran to him and threw their arms around him hugging him tight... multiple times. He just graciously accepted their affections and smiled. I was just amused... until...


We were standing outside the store when a lady came walking up the steps. She had long, stringy, thin, reddish-pinkish-brownish hair. She was wearing lots of colorful mis-matched clothes. Quite frankly she wasn't very attractive. Unfortunately MY silent observation was given voice by my little Chaseroo... OUT LOUD... RIGHT WHEN SHE GOT CLOSE TO US when he remarked "Mom, she's ugly." Then when he wasn't sure if I heard him (since I didn't agree or comment), he repeated himself. She didn't respond or react. Once she was out of earshot, I talked to Chase about not saying things "out loud" about people that aren't nice, yada, yada, yada. When I told my compassionate sister Staci about the incident, she commented "Hopefully she was ugly AND deaf"! :D Thanks Stace! Hopefully.

6 comments:

Irene Moyer said...

Oh no - how funny! I'll be sure to always dress nicely and not over-do the make-up when I see your boys!

Cindi said...

You're too cute to ever be called ugly, even if you decided to wear ugly clothes or goofy make-up! :D To be fair, they're not super judgemental... just too honest. (The woman did look a little like a real-life witch.)

jksfam said...

They hugged him?!? Repeatedly! Funny! And hopefully she is deaf. I hate those moments! (You know - when people call me ugly...)

Cindi said...

You're so funny, Kristine! Like anybody's ever called you ugly! :D You make me laugh!

Teresa Jolley said...

I love reading your blog, it just makes me laugh the whole time. Your boys are riots.

Michela said...

... well, that's why I come to your blog... to read something that will make me laugh! and it works every time!