Thursday, November 13, 2008

Cindi's law...

Not familiar with it? Perhaps you're familiar with Murphy's Law- If something CAN go wrong, it WILL. Well, Cindi's law is similar, but with a twist. If Cindi says something out loud that can go wrong, it will. True confession... When I was young, REALLY young (like 6) we still had afternoon primary (yes, I AM that old, and that's not even my confession!!). We always picked up other kids and there was one girl in particular that I didn't like and didn't want to pick up. Well, one day I told my sister (in secret in the back of our station wagon, not buckled in or anything!) that I wished the girl would get run over by a car so that we wouldn't have to pick her up. Well, my sister, my confidante (I could write a whole blog about how she's proved NOT my true confidante over and over... Not a whole post. A whole blog. But that's another story...) shared my wish with my mother! (Yes, I got the lecture about not saying mean, threatening things like that because if it really happened then I would feel very bad.) Just seconds later we pulled onto the girl's street and surprise, there's an ambulance in front of her house. She had been playing ball in the street and a parked car started rolling down the hill behind her; HIT her; then rolled over her (with her in the center between the tires, luckily). She had a concussion from getting knocked down, but otherwise she was ok. MY FAULT? Who knows, but I did learn at an early age to be very careful what you wish for out loud. (If it's bad, anyway. The good things NEVER come true.) Sadly, I didn't learn my lesson. I have had other bad experiences like that, but I figure one REALLY bad confession is enough for one post. Fast forward to a few days ago. We were at the zoo. (It's what we do.) Brayden (the little boy I watch 4 days a week) wanted my dad to help him get on top of a wall. My dad told him that he'd have to climb himself. I informed him that I already told him he couldn't climb because "It's bad enough when my OWN kids get hurt, but I don't want to be responsible for someone else's child getting injured." Then we went into the little building they call "the loft" (I learned this when the paramedics were talking to me). Brayden was just sitting down on one of the little log bench-type things, but he lost his balance and fell, hitting his head on another log. Why, oh why did I have to mention out loud the whole not wanting to deal with another kid getting hurt?! His head swelled up quite a bit. It bruised almost instantly, and he had a cut across the bruise. After putting an ice pack on it and cleaning it and bandaging it, he was like new. You can't even tell from the picture that it was as bad as it was! Hopefully I'll be more careful with my words in the future! :D Besides THAT mishap, it was a fun day at the zoo. We got to pet a skunk (de-scented) and feed carrots to the hippos. Surprisingly enough, I didn't have my camera! The cell phone pics will have to do. :D

7 comments:

jksfam said...

Your boys are going to be expert hippo feeders! Sorry about Brayden's head! You really better be careful what you say!!! Now I'm a little scared to be around you - heck even maybe to know you! ;) ;)

Cindi said...

It was bound to happen! I knew if I confessed I ran the risk of losing the few friends I have! :*( boo-hoo

The "Eck's" Files said...

I miss the zoo!! We used to go all the time too!! Sigh, now it's a 3 hour drive, then a grip load of money then a hotel then a drive back. Cool zoo though!
So my confession--if I say "xx is going to happen" it doesn't......
Chad's is like yours so he REALLY freaks out that I do that.

Teresa Jolley said...

Isn't it getting too cold to go to the zoo?? Your a good mom, I can't stand even staying more then a couple hours let alone day after day. I bet the boy LOVE it though. Was Brayden's mom mad at you?

Cindi said...

Kayte, I so know how Chad feels. I was even going to comment how Karam "KNOWS" the worst things will ALWAYS happen, but I couldn't bring myself to give an example... just in case, you know. ;) If you ever want to come visit, we'll take you to the zoo!

Teresa, no Brayden's mom wasn't mad. She didn't really even say much except that he's always the clumsy, accident-prone one. And it has been in the 70's here. Perfect zoo weather! :D I'm loving that it's staying so nice into November!

Bingy's blog said...

Note to self: always stay on Cindi's good side! I love your sweet stories from the boys, they always make my day!

Christian and Jennifer said...

I will also be striving to stay on your good side! That story was hilarious . . . sad, but hilarious. Hee, hee!