Saturday, November 1, 2008

The zoo... again

So, my friend Kristy came down from Denver (Aurora to be precise). Kristy has been back in Colorado for at least a year (maybe two... Kristy?) and this was only the third time I've seen her since then. Megan & I continued our activity overload and met Kristy and her kids at the zoo for the afternoon. You'd think after her being in Maryland and then California, we'd get together more often being so close and all, but no. (side note... Megan and Kristy found out they had lived in the same exact ward on the east coast... small world, right?) We have tried a few times, but things just "happen". Then we finally get together and this is the only pic I got of them.

Megan got smart and bailed (activity overload... remember?!) before the last area (hippos and gorillas). Too bad 'cause there was more excitement! Aiden & Chase got to feed the hippos a big head of cabbage each! At least they tried... The hippo's mouths were a little high for their aim. They did try, though. I didn't have my camera ready on Chase's turn and barely caught Aiden.

Then at the gorilla enclosure, there was a huge rucus with the gorillas screaching and chasing the male. It was quite the entertainment. Then as we were preparing to leave, the kids wanted one last glance at the gorillas. The big male silver back, with his back to the glass, swiftly punched the window with his fist. After the initial startle wore off, everyone got a good laugh. Apparently the Smith's (Kristy's fam) have history with the gorilla family! So watch out if you accompany them to the zoo... ;)

P.S. Megan and Kristy- I found this on my Google search for "how many stripes does a zebra have?" Best Answer - It depends on the species of zebra..."the common (or plains) zebra has 26 stripes per side, the mountain zebra has 43 stripes per side, and the Grevy's zebra has 80 stripes per side."Of course, since stripes on a zebra are like fingerprints on humans, your mileage may vary. Now we know. ;)

2 comments:

jksfam said...

I'll have to see what pictures I have of you. Funny thing - My friend Ellen in Boston that knows Megan, too, well, she found Brooke's blog today (the friend I saw yesterday morning) and she had blogged about our visit. Ellen e-mailed me about my kids being on a blog she just found today - and then I meet Megan just 2 days before. WEIRD!!!

jksfam said...

Oh, glad we go together again! It was fun. Thanks for stopping by today. You'll have to plan a real visit sometime!!!

Funny thing - word to type to post: pitypro!